German Law/German child support - 16 years later

Question
16 years ago i was in the military and had a child with a German citizen.  I went to court and paid some support.  Shortly after i was relocated to the US and did not have any way to get in touch with the mother.  I have not been back to EU since that time and now I may be traveling to France on business. My question is, Is there a chance I can be arrested or detained for failure to pay support.  I have not received anything from Germany or my ex in the past 16 years.

Answer
Hello Joe,

you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

Child support enforcement is a purely civil matter with which the border police and the Schengen Information System are not concerned.

Very theoretically, the mother could find out about your presence in France. She would then have to get the German court order recognized in France and a French bailiff could then try to enforce it against you while you will be there.
You see that the practical chances of that are close to zero.

Enjoy your trip to France!

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser