German Law/inherited property in marriage

Question
Am a foreigner married to a German for 4 years and we have a 3 year old kid am contemplating divorce my father in law has left a lot of property to us
My husband is a selfish who wants it all
please let me know what the German law says about inherited property

Answer
Hello Valence,

if your father left the property to you, it is excluded from marital property and your husband has no claim to it in the course of the dissolution of the marriage ( 1374 II BGB).

However, you said that your father left the property "to us". If your father has given property to your husband or if you are both the joint owners, then your husband can keep these property rights.

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser