You are here:

German Law/Physical custody between USA & Germany


What are the requirements to collect kindergelt for a child that only resides part-time in Germany?  Can US court ordered child-support payments to a US resident be deducted from German income taxes?  Can transportation costs incurred for transatlantic airfare be deducted from German income taxes?  Both parents and child are US citizens, but one parent is an EU/USA dual national currently residing/working in Germany.   Thanks for any insights.

Dear Marc,

You can only claim Kindergeld for a child if he/she lives permanently in Germany. I am not a tax attorney but I think that you can claim child support for a child in the US as aussergewoehnliche Belastungen. I don't think you can claim the transatlantic airfare to reduce your income.

C. Burgess  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]