German Law/Physical custody between USA & Germany

Question
What are the requirements to collect kindergelt for a child that only resides part-time in Germany?  Can US court ordered child-support payments to a US resident be deducted from German income taxes?  Can transportation costs incurred for transatlantic airfare be deducted from German income taxes?  Both parents and child are US citizens, but one parent is an EU/USA dual national currently residing/working in Germany.   Thanks for any insights.

Answer
Dear Marc,

You can only claim Kindergeld for a child if he/she lives permanently in Germany. I am not a tax attorney but I think that you can claim child support for a child in the US as aussergewoehnliche Belastungen. I don't think you can claim the transatlantic airfare to reduce your income.

Sincerely,
C. Burgess  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess