You are here:

German Law/Re open Divorce


I was divorced from a German national in 2007 while I was in the US due to orders and she was in Germany.
My Lawyer at the time called me and told me the divorce was final and that there was no maintenance since there were no children or property.  My ex sent me letters 4-5 years later showing that I had to pay her.  She waited to send me the letters that late because she was waiting for me to become financially stable.  Because of the divorce and how everything went I had to
foreclose on a house in the US because the ex would not sign a quit claim deed so I could sell it and then a bankruptcy.  The courts came to a decision on how much I made based off one pay statement while I was deployed to combat. No bills were taken into consideration.  So the payment they have for me is
pretty outrageous.  My lawyer never showed the 3 years worth of pay statements provided or the fact that since I had to go back to the states my pay was drastically decreased.  

Is there any way that a case can be reopened so I can get a fair chance?  

Dear Brian,

You can not change the alimony back payments. But if your current income is still lower and you ex-wife is still claiming support from you we might be able to lower the payments for the future by filing a support adjustment claim at the local German court. You can contact me directly at

C. Burgess  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.