You are here:

German Law/child support paid directly to my son


Hello, please can you confirm me that when my son will turn 18 years I can give directly to him the money for his alimoney? which German Law's article permits this? have I also to inform his mother before to change the destinary of child support's money?
Thanks in advance for your kind help.
Best regards, Lino

Dear Lino,

As soon as your son turns 18 years old you can ask him to open his own bank account and you are allowed to transfer his support each month into his bank account. There is no specific article in the German Civil Code (BGB) regulating details about the support payments. But it is common practice in Germany for father's to pay the support directly in the account of the adult child.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.