German Law/Inheritance

Question
Hello, I live in the US with my Mother, her brother my uncle lives in Lieman Germany, I was named in a living will along with his current girlfriend. I am also due to inherit some items from him and take care of his estate when in the future something happens to him.

As of now we have tremendous problems in doing bank transfers for money from Germany to the US. So I am trying to prepare myself for the future.

Is there any preparation I need to take to be ready to handle things for him, I only speak passable German and I do not know anyone other than my Uncle residing in Germany. So no help there.

Any advice will be welcome as I am clueless as to where to begin when the time comes.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you

Answer
Dear Robin,

in case your uncle dies you and his girlfriend need to obtain an inheritance certificate from the German probate court in your uncle's German hometown. You can look up the web site from the German Embassy in Washington they have useful information and a form you can use to apply for an inheritance certificate at the German Consulate closest to you in the US.

For the inheritance certificate application you will need to obtain a copy of your uncle's will from the German local probate court and you need to organize a copy of his death certificate. You will also need a copy of your birth certificate.

You also would need to find out the value of the estate and split it between you and his girlfriend.

You can contact me at csb@germanlegalservices.com and I will be glad to organize everything including the payment of the inheritance tax in Germany for you. You will not be obligated to pay taxes in the US because the US and Germany signed an international agreement to prevent you form paying taxes twice.    

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
www.germanlegalservices.com
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess