German Law/Inheritance


Hello, I live in the US with my Mother, her brother my uncle lives in Lieman Germany, I was named in a living will along with his current girlfriend. I am also due to inherit some items from him and take care of his estate when in the future something happens to him.

As of now we have tremendous problems in doing bank transfers for money from Germany to the US. So I am trying to prepare myself for the future.

Is there any preparation I need to take to be ready to handle things for him, I only speak passable German and I do not know anyone other than my Uncle residing in Germany. So no help there.

Any advice will be welcome as I am clueless as to where to begin when the time comes.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you

Dear Robin,

in case your uncle dies you and his girlfriend need to obtain an inheritance certificate from the German probate court in your uncle's German hometown. You can look up the web site from the German Embassy in Washington they have useful information and a form you can use to apply for an inheritance certificate at the German Consulate closest to you in the US.

For the inheritance certificate application you will need to obtain a copy of your uncle's will from the German local probate court and you need to organize a copy of his death certificate. You will also need a copy of your birth certificate.

You also would need to find out the value of the estate and split it between you and his girlfriend.

You can contact me at and I will be glad to organize everything including the payment of the inheritance tax in Germany for you. You will not be obligated to pay taxes in the US because the US and Germany signed an international agreement to prevent you form paying taxes twice.    

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]