You are here:

German Law/two years marriage


Hello again,

I came to germany on study visa in 2011 january. In 2012 January I got married with my german wife. During the period of my studies I completed german Integration course upto level B1 and orientation course. I   have read somewhere that if someone has spend three years legally in germany including two years of marriage with german spouse he is eligible to apply for german passport. Is this information correct? Anyhow foreign office has told that in 2015 I will get Niederlassung.

Hello Ahmad,

yes, you are absolutely right.
After living in Germany for 3 years and being married to a German citizen for 2 years, you can receive German citizenship. As you have also completed the language and the integration course, you should not experience any problems.

For more on German citizenship law:

(Regarding your previous question about getting permission for your parents to move to Germany, you having German citizenship nfortnately won't make it much easier. The same rules apply.)

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]