You are here:

German Law/Child support


My ex-husband lives in the United States and has custody of our 2 sons. I live in Germany but not working at this time. I am getting married to a German citizen.  If my ex files for child support will my new husband be obligated to pay the ordered child support if I am not working?

Dear Patty,

In your case the law of the US state applies where your children live.

I am only a German law expert. According to German law your husband's income is not relevant. But you are obligated to find a part time job to pay at least the minimum German child support.

I would need to research the law of the relevant US state to find out what applies in your case. You can contact me at if you want to use my service.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.