German Law/Child support

Question
My ex-husband lives in the United States and has custody of our 2 sons. I live in Germany but not working at this time. I am getting married to a German citizen.  If my ex files for child support will my new husband be obligated to pay the ordered child support if I am not working?

Answer
Dear Patty,

In your case the law of the US state applies where your children live.

I am only a German law expert. According to German law your husband's income is not relevant. But you are obligated to find a part time job to pay at least the minimum German child support.

I would need to research the law of the relevant US state to find out what applies in your case. You can contact me at csb@germanlegalservices.com if you want to use my service.

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess