German Law/Child support

Question
Hi there currently my partner lives in NZ and pays child support for his first child here. She is about to move to Germany with her mother for good. What now happens to child support payments - do we pay under NZ or can Germany inforce us to pay an amount in Euros based on their assessment?

Thanks for your help

Answer
Dear Mrs. Saunde,

According to international law the German law will apply for the calculation of child support when the child lives permanently in Germany. But the German authorities will not step in unless the mother will go to the Youth Department or she would need to hire a German lawyer to file a claim to change the child support amount at the local German court.

Otherwise your partner can continue to pay according to the court decision from NZ. If there is no court ruling about the child support amount it might be in your partner's favor to start to pay the amount he is obligated to pay according to German law.

He can contact me directly at csb@germanlegalservices.com if he wants to set up a telephone consultation.    

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess