You are here:

German Law/Divorce from German Spouse/Retaining Custody of Chirldren


Hello Mrs. Schulz-Burgess,
My wife who is a German Citizen PCS'd with me to the UK. However, after 3 months, she left back to German with the children, and this was done without my consent. She originally stated that she wanted to take the children back to go to a German hospital and would return, but once she was there, stated she would not return to the UK, and has filed for financial support with a German Lawyer. My children hold dual citizenship, and my soon to be ex-wife has all of their paperwork. I want to proceed with a divorce, but do not know where or who to ask to represent me. I also want my children back due to my ex having no means for supporting. I am a New York resident, and have not life there in 10yrs. We have never had lived in German, and once we were married two years ago, she did not live with me while I was at my previous duty station in Japan. Please help, and thank you in advance for any legal advice or representation.  Thank you.

Dear Andre,

Your wife violated the Hague Convention when she took the children to live with her permanently in Germany without your consent. My partner in Munich and I have experience with Hague Convention cases and we can file a claim for you at the local German supreme court so that the mother has to bring the children back to the UK. We have to file the claim at the latest within a year after the mother moved with the children from the UK to Germany. But your success chances will be better if we file sooner.

We would also be glad to represent you in the financial support matter and could file for divorce in your wife's German home town when you have been separated for almost one year. We represent US military members all over Germany at court. So you would be in good hands.

You can contact me directly at so that we can organize a telephone consultation.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.