German Law/Apostille

My husband is a resident of Germany. I his wife, am American. We are in the states and my husband is injured and hospitalized. I need his daughter in Germany to be his power of attorney. I have a legal power of attorney letter written and notarized. My husband has signed. Do I need an Apostille attached to this notarized letter?

Dear Kathy,

Normally a power of attorney doesn't need a Apostille in Germany to be effective. But your daughter will probably have problems with a power of attorney if it is only written in English.

I would be glad to write a power of attorney/Vollmacht for you in German and English for your husband to sign. You can contact me at

The other solution would be to ad a certified translation.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.