German Law/Question about divorce

Question
I am a citizen of EU (not German) and in a relationship with a US Army member residing in Germany, who is still legally married to a German wife (they also have children together). They have been separated for over a year and according to him, divorce proceedings are underway. Is there any way I can verify this? Is a filed divorce a matter of public record in Germany? I have read many articles online about divorce in Germany, but I am not quite sure what the steps are after the 1-year separation period. What happens after the papers are filed and which factors influence the speed of the divorce? I very much thank you in advance for your answer. It is truly apreciated!

Answer
Dear Valentina,

Unfortunately you are not able to find out if he filed for divorce because you are not a party of the divorce and the court or lawyers are not allowed to give you any information.

The more complicated the divorce is (if the parties don't agree about, custody, visitation rights, support, waiving of the splitting of retirement assets or other assets) the longer it will take. It can take from several months up to in a few cases to two years.

I hope your boyfriend has a lawyer who is familiar with international divorces. If there should be any problems he can contact me at csb@germanlegalservices.com.

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess