German Law/inheritance

Question
QUESTION: My Wife and I are Both U.S. Citizens and we own a home (Joint)in Germany. I have a Daughter (from my previous marriage) that is a German citizen. If I die before my wife, I want her to be able to stay in the home in Germany and not have to sell it to pay off an inheritance to my daughter. Can I put the house just in my Wife’s name to prevent Daughter from claiming a share under Germany law?

Thanks,

ANSWER: Dear Larry,

You can put the house just in your wife's name. But according to Art 2325 III BGB your daughter is still able to claim her so called Pflichtteil from your wife. The Pflichtteil will be the value of 1/4 of the estate and there is a time limitation for the claim of the Pflichtteil.

You can contact me directly at csb@germanlegalservices.com for further advice.

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
www.germanlegalservices.com
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

QUESTION: Everything I have but the house, investments, bank accounts, insurance policy etc., are in the US and as I understand it would come under US inheritance law.  So when you say my German Daughter is still able to claim the Pflichtteil of 1/4 of my estate from my wife-Does that mean that even if the house is in my Wife’s name my Daughter can still demand a ¼ share of the house upon my death?
Thanks,

Answer
Dear Larry,

I have to correct my answer because you are a US citizen and this means according to Art 25 I EGBGB  US law applies for your estate. I am not aware if your daughter is allowed to claim anything according to US-law.

According to Art 25 II EGBGB you can choose German law in your will for the house in Germany.

But if you die in Germany the German probate court will handle the distribution of the estate.

Therefore I would recommend that you get a will according to US law if that is in your favor and a certified German translation.

I am sorry for the confusion I caused with my first answers. If you have further questions and concerns you can contact me at csb@germanlegalservices.com to discuss this matter in a phone consultation.   

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
www.germanlegalservices.com
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess