You are here:

German Law/About my daughter



I am filipina soon to get married with a german citizen, and I have a daughter  but I put her last name from her father but we didn't get married. I want to ask if its possible for me and my future husband to take her with us in Germany?

Thank you in advance

Dear Jessica,

Normally you will need the father's permission to move to Germany if you don't have sole custody of the child or you might need to obtain a custody decision here in the US.

If the father has no contact to the child I would just try to change the child's name here in the US before you move to Germany. The authorities here in the US are normally easier to work with.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.