German Law/German blood

Question
Hi Andreas! Love your site by the way!

Just wondering if you could help me on this? My grandmother (father's mother) was german and so was the rest of her family whom were (and I assume still are) all based in Germany. She moved to the Pacific Islands with her father and where she got married to a Pacific Islander thus had my father and his siblings and than me :) Would that fact alone make me eligible to obtain a german passport? Also, my parents went to Germany and lived there for 5 years whereby I was born there in 1984. I'd love the chance to obtain a german passport and visit the place sometime...Im currently learning the language! Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hello Tensie,

1) It's hard to say without much more knowledge about the details of your ancestors whether your grandmother's German citizenship was passed down to you. As a general rule, the ancestor must still have had German citizenship by the time the next person in line was born. If German citizenship was passed on then depends on the citizenship law in place at that time.

2) Before 1990, Germany had no ius solis at all, so having been born in Germany unfortunately did not bestow German citizenship on you.

3) But you sound like you could have a chance of naturalization with your heritage and if you master the German language. There is even a chance to apply for German citizenship without living in Germany ( 14 StAG), but you need to prove close ties to Germany in that case.

Viel Erfolg!

For more on German citizenship law, see my FAQ on the subject: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/faq-citizenship-law-in-germany/

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser