German Law/Guardianship of niece in event of death

Question
My sister is a single parent of my niece in Berlin. She wants to creat a will naming me as guardian ( I live in USA) in case of emergency. How do we do this?

Answer
Dear Christine,

If your sister has (sole) custody she can name you as the guardian after her death in her will 1773, 1774, 1776, 1777 BGB. This is called a Sorgerechtsverfuegung in German.

This can be done with or without the involvement of a German Notar (Special lawyer).

I would be glad to have a telephone consultation with you and your sister to find out what would be the best solution in this case. You can contact me directly at csb@germanlegalservices.com.

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess