German Law/Must a father's name be on German birth certificate?

Question
I am an unwed mother. The father of my baby is not german and does not want to be a part of the child's life. He also does not believe the baby is his. Is it possible to not list a father on the birth certificate? Will I still receive my two years at home after the baby is born if there is no father? What if he deploys before a paternity test can be done and I have no contact, not even a last name?

Answer
Dear Angel,

You can state at the birth certificate that the father is unknown. But in that case you will not be able to claim any child support etc. from the father in the future. I would advise you to to obtain the last name of the father from the US-Army. After the child is born you can contact the local Youth Department. You are only allowed to claim Elterngeld for 12 months. But the local Youth Department will contact the father for you to make him pay child support and they can enforce the payment if necessary. The Youth Department will pay you the minimum child support until they can enforce the payments if necessary.

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess