German Law/Must a father's name be on German birth certificate?

I am an unwed mother. The father of my baby is not german and does not want to be a part of the child's life. He also does not believe the baby is his. Is it possible to not list a father on the birth certificate? Will I still receive my two years at home after the baby is born if there is no father? What if he deploys before a paternity test can be done and I have no contact, not even a last name?

Dear Angel,

You can state at the birth certificate that the father is unknown. But in that case you will not be able to claim any child support etc. from the father in the future. I would advise you to to obtain the last name of the father from the US-Army. After the child is born you can contact the local Youth Department. You are only allowed to claim Elterngeld for 12 months. But the local Youth Department will contact the father for you to make him pay child support and they can enforce the payment if necessary. The Youth Department will pay you the minimum child support until they can enforce the payments if necessary.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.