German Law/Inheritance at the Deutsche bank (DB)

My mom (American Citizen) recently died and she had 2 account at the bank. 1 with me, her and my german aunt and the other with her and my aunt. She had put down a permanent address in the US on the account,  eventhough she has lived in Wiesbaden since 1966. I called DB and was told that the accounts were frozen for now and it would take 6-8 weeks to resolve - issue with taxes I believe. Was told that when resolved they would contact my aunt. I asked to be contacted also and offered my telephone number (in the US), but was repeatedly told they would contact my aunt. Being my moms only son, and no will and my aunt and I had Power of Attorneys, having a trust issue with the bank . DO I trust them or do I get a german attorney in WIesbaden

Dear Jerry,

It sounds like the bank is preferring to deal with your aunt because she is German and lives in Germany. I suggest that you hire a German Attorney to represent you in this inheritance matter. I would be glad to represent you.

I would inform the bank & the German Probate court in a German letter with an attached Power of Attorney that I will handle this case for you. And they will send information &  documents to me.

I would be glad to organize an inheritance certificate from the German Probate Court. I obtain inheritance certificates frequently for my clients & I will be able to send you English forms to fill out. You will need to provide the bank with an inheritance certificate if you want to receive a bank check for your part of the money in the account(s).

I would also be glad to handle the payment of the German inheritance tax for you.

You can contact me directly at & I can schedule a telephone consultation for you.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
Foreign Legal Consultant/German Attorney at Law  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.