German Law/Inheritance Germany

Question
My mother who is german born and married now living in the U.S has an aunt that we just heard passed away in germany. My mothers mom passed away in germany also in 2014 and then we heard of my mothers aunt passing also in 2015. We have not been notified by the german gov or have been able to get any info on the will or property that is now just siting in disrepair. There are no surviving relatives left in germany only my mother in the U.S. Where do we start to get answers? We would like to get a copy of the will and find out if there is any tax debt is on the property.

Answer
German law does not provide a mandatory probate proceeding. If there is no will neither the courts nor any other authority would be involved.
The best way would be to contact the local court which is competent for the last residence of the deceased (Amtsgericht/ Nachlassgericht). There, your mother can ask if a will has been delivered and opened. Maybe they just did not know your mother`s existence and did not send it.  

German Law

Henning Haarhaus