German Law/Recognition of Proxy Marriages

Question
I am a German citizen of Ghanaian ethnicity. I moved to the UK in February 2011 to exercise treaty rights of free movement. I live and work in England. I met a young lady of Ghanaian origin and married her by proxy according to Ghanaian custom. Would Germany law recognize my marriage?

Answer
Dear Mr. Nnaemeka Herbert,

German law will recognize your marriage according to Ghanaian customs. If you decide to move back to Germany you need to get the Marriage registered. I would be glad to organize this for you. You can contact me directly at csb@germanlegalservices.com.

Sincerely,
Carolin Burgess
Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess