German Law/Recognition of Proxy Marriages

I am a German citizen of Ghanaian ethnicity. I moved to the UK in February 2011 to exercise treaty rights of free movement. I live and work in England. I met a young lady of Ghanaian origin and married her by proxy according to Ghanaian custom. Would Germany law recognize my marriage?

Dear Mr. Nnaemeka Herbert,

German law will recognize your marriage according to Ghanaian customs. If you decide to move back to Germany you need to get the Marriage registered. I would be glad to organize this for you. You can contact me directly at

Carolin Burgess
Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.

I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.