You are here:

German Law/Kindergeld in Germany or child benefit in UK


My baby was born in Germany but my partner, me and her have UK passports. We have lived in Germany 3 years and my baby is 9 months old. I currently receive kindergeld from Germany and nothing from UK.

We have to move back to UK next year as my partner has a 3 year contract. After that we may be back in Germany, although likely a different city.

What do I need to do about kindergeld? Can I still claim it if we are resident in UK. I would not claim UK benefits of course. It just seems such a hassle to change systems then change back again.

What info would I need to give the kindergeld office?


You are only entitled to Kindergeld as long as you live in Germany. Once you move, you have to let them know and payments will stop.

Once you return, you will apply again and payments will resume.

It's not too much of a hassle, don't worry! (At least the German part isn't.) Because Kindergeld is paid for every child, regardless of your income, you won't need to submit any paperwork and you will receive it almost immediately once you register again in Germany.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.