German Law/Kindergeld in Germany or child benefit in UK

Question
My baby was born in Germany but my partner, me and her have UK passports. We have lived in Germany 3 years and my baby is 9 months old. I currently receive kindergeld from Germany and nothing from UK.

We have to move back to UK next year as my partner has a 3 year contract. After that we may be back in Germany, although likely a different city.

What do I need to do about kindergeld? Can I still claim it if we are resident in UK. I would not claim UK benefits of course. It just seems such a hassle to change systems then change back again.

What info would I need to give the kindergeld office?

Thanks

Answer
You are only entitled to Kindergeld as long as you live in Germany. Once you move, you have to let them know and payments will stop.

Once you return, you will apply again and payments will resume.

It's not too much of a hassle, don't worry! (At least the German part isn't.) Because Kindergeld is paid for every child, regardless of your income, you won't need to submit any paperwork and you will receive it almost immediately once you register again in Germany.

Andreas Moser
www.about.me/moser

German Law

Andreas Moser