German Law/Marriage in Kenya and German course

Hi Andreas
I am Deriq from Kenya and my girlfriend is german and we are planning to get married here in kenya i would like to ask please is it a must i do the german course 1st before i get married or i cn do it after marriage here in Kenya or i can get married while im learning it here in kenya is that possible? And after getting married which visa should i apply for at the Embassy?

Thank you

There is no requirement that you do the German course before you get married. You can go ahead and get married at any time you both want.

You only need to have the German exam (at least at A1 level) when you will apply for your visa for Germany before moving there. You would apply for a spousal visa ( 28 I AufenthG).

All the best!
Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK