German Law/German Citizenship by Decent

Question
Hello Andreas,

Thank you for the helpful information you have posted regarding German dual citizenship.

My maternal German grandmother was born in Germany near Vilshofen in 1937. She married my grandfather, an American serving in the US military, in Munich in 1957.

She then immigrated to the US where I found she became a US citizen in November, 1964. My mother was born to her and my grandfather here in the US in October 1964...just over a month before my grandmother became a US citizen. So, my grandmother would have still been a German citizen at the time of my mother's birth. My mother has never pursued a confirmation of dual citizenship or anything.

In this situation, does it seem that I would have German citizenship through my grandmother? My mother has not dome anything that would have rescinded her German citizenship.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Brandon

Answer
Hello Brandon,

I grew up very close to Vilshofen, in Amberg. But now to your question:

Unfortunately, your grandmother did not pass on German citizenship to your mother because prior to 1975 only German fathers could pass on citizenship. The law was rather old-fashioned back then and favored the paternal line.

However, Germany has now acknowledged that this was a bit discriminatory and therefore allows people like your mother to apply for German citizenship from abroad without having to give up their other (in her case US) citizenship. See no. 8 of my FAQ on naturalization from abroad: https://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/naturalization-in-germany-from-abroad/

Sadly, this would only help you if you were a minor. Otherwise, you will not be covered by your mother's naturalization and it won't have any effect on your citizenship because it won't be backdated to your birth.

Sorry that I don't have better news,
Andreas Moser
www.about.me/moser  

German Law

Andreas Moser