German Law/Inheritence of RestitutionPension

Thank you for this website.  My recently-deceased father, born Jewish in Halle, fled Germany in the late 30s.  He became a US citizen and resided in the US.  For a number of years now, he has been receiving some sort of "pension" that I believe is meant to act as restitution.  Annually, he engaged in a process to certify that he is alive.  We are trying to determine whether my mother, his widow, is eligible to continue to receive all or a portion of these payments. The paperwork that we have gives no indication of this and, sad to say, none of us speaks German.

Possibly, your father received a pension according to the regulations in the Federal Act regarding the Restitution of Victims Persecuted by the Nazi Regime (Bundesgesetz zur Entschädigung für Opfer der nationalsozialistischen Verfolgung - BER). According to § 85 of this act, the widow of a deceased pensioner would be eligible to continue to receive 60 % of the initial pension.

German Law

Henning Haarhaus

I can answer questions in English, German and French. Practice in inheritance law, tax, labour and contract law for private clients. Services also rendered in the fields of business & commercial law; e.g. business organizations, contracts, debt collections, leasing law. Representing clients all over Germany. NO CONSULTANCY ON FAMILY AND IMMIGRATION LAW.

Working since 1999 in the forenamed fields. Henning Haarhaus` experience includes services in the legal department of Roedl & partner, the biggest tax consultancy firm of German origin. Appointed Bar Certified Tax Law Practioner in 2007.

Bar Association of Berlin, KIWANIS

German licensed lawyer and bar certified tax specialist