You are here:

German Law/applying for German citizenship from abroad


Dear Mr Moser
I am of Malaysian citizenship but I have permanent residence in Germany since 15 years. Now I just moved to the States and got married to an US citizen.  Now I would like to give up my malaysian citizenship and apply for a german one. Now do I have to go back to Germany to apply or can I apply it in USA through one of the consulates here?  I have done all the necessary tests etc required in order to apply for the citizenship. I also have bought a property in Berlin last year too. Please reply thank you very much in advance.
With kind regards

You can apply for German citizenship while you are abroad. You will find all the details answered in my relevant FAQ:

However, because this naturalization is one of discretion, it would be easier for you to move to Germany for a while and apply from there. Because if you have lived in Germany for more than 8 years, you are entitled to naturalization. Applications from within Germany thus have a much higher chance of success.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.