German Law/German Citizenship

I was born in Germany in the 70s and lived there for the first 13years of my life. (my parents are not German).
What is the possibility of currently getting German citizenship?

Your only chance is naturalization, for which you have two options:

a) Living in Germany for 3 years if married to a German or at least 6 years if you are not married to a German:

b) If you can prove exceptional ties to Germany, you may apply for naturalization without living in Germany:

In both cases, you would need to speak German, so the fact that you lived in Germany for 13 years may help indirectly, but by itself it is not a factor.

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK