You are here:

German Law/German Residency Permit


Hi there,
I am a German Woman, and have lived in the US for 25 Years. My husband is
born in the USA and he now has an opportunity to work in Berlin.
Can we apply for his german residency permit, so he can work in Germany?
He would only work about 6 month out of the Year in Germany and I would stay
here in the US. Do we both have to reside in Germany in order for him to receive the
german residency permit.
We also own a business here in the US.

Thank you for your input

There are two options for your husband to receive a residence + work permit for Germany:

1) Based on being married to a German citizen (assuming that you still have German citizenship). This one is easy to get, but you would both need to live in Germany. At least you would need to be registered there and pretend to live there as well.

2) Based on the job. For a work visa, you do not need to come to Germany with your husband, but this type of residence + work permit is harder to get. It will depend on the type of job and the salary.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.