German Law/German Residency Permit

Question
Hi there,
I am a German Woman, and have lived in the US for 25 Years. My husband is
born in the USA and he now has an opportunity to work in Berlin.
Can we apply for his german residency permit, so he can work in Germany?
He would only work about 6 month out of the Year in Germany and I would stay
here in the US. Do we both have to reside in Germany in order for him to receive the
german residency permit.
We also own a business here in the US.

Thank you for your input

Answer
There are two options for your husband to receive a residence + work permit for Germany:

1) Based on being married to a German citizen (assuming that you still have German citizenship). This one is easy to get, but you would both need to live in Germany. At least you would need to be registered there and pretend to live there as well.

2) Based on the job. For a work visa, you do not need to come to Germany with your husband, but this type of residence + work permit is harder to get. It will depend on the type of job and the salary.

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser