You are here:

German Law/Amendment of child support in Germany after second marriage


Dear Mr. Moser,
I have 4 children from my previous marriage and Iīm paying monthly 1150 Euro child support to my ex-wife. She quit her job and she is not working. I recently changed my job and she filed a lawsuit for to increase the monthly child support I`m paying. The problem is I have a fiancee and we are going to get married soon and she is pregnant. She is a foreigner and she will not be able to start to work immediately and I will take care of her. My question is I am earning approximately 4.000 Euro monthly and I also pay rent. As far as I have experienced the court`s in Germany is not on fathersī side in many cases especially in child support and child custody. Unfortunately I see that my ex wife is not spending the money for my children and even if I have the proofs and witnesses I could not do anything against it and I could not get my childrenīs sole custody. In my situation is it possible for the court to increase the child support even if I am going to get married and have another child? If they do so can I go to superior court? Thank you in advance for your help.
Yours Faithfully


once your new child will be born, you will be able to ask the court for an amendment of the child support order. They will have to take into account that you have another child and that you will also have to care for the child's mother (at least while the child is very young).

Because all children are treated equally, the share of child support for your first 4 children will drop, because your income will be distributed between more children and the mother of the newborn child.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.