German Law/German citizenship - in Ausbildung

Question
Thank you so much for this helpful platform where we can ask legal questions in regard to immigration law. i live in Germany for the last 5years. I have Aufenthalterlabnis nach 25 Abs.1. I have intergrated in the German language. At the moment am doing a 3 years Ausbildung and i would like to know if i am qualified to apply for a German Passport.

Your advice, counsel and  answer would be really appreciated.Thank you so much for your help and answer in advance.

Olivia

Answer
Hello Olivia,

you can apply, but one of the requirements is that you are financially independent. It depends on your Ausbildung (and maybe on your employer) if you earn enough to satisfy that requirement.

Depending on your Ausbildung and the job prospects you have after finishing it, I might recommend waiting until you will have completed it. Because by then you have been living in Germany for 8 years, which means that you will fall under 10 StAG, which gives you an entitlement to German citizenship if you fulfill the requirements. If you apply before, it is up to the discretion of the authorities.

If you are married to a German citizen, you only need residency in Germany of 3 years, so that might speed it up.

Alles Gute!

Andreas Moser

For more on German citizenship law:
http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/faq-citizenship-law-in-germany/
http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/infographic-german-citizenship/

German Law

Andreas Moser