You are here:

German Law/If a German father has a daughter in


QUESTION: If a German father has a daughter in child protective services can he still get visitation rights? Reason his name is not on the birth, and he wants paternity legally established. This father makes it clear that he does not want custody of his daughter because he canít take care of her, and only has time to see his daughter on weekends, and on holidays. His daughter has not seen her birth mother since she was a newborn baby, because she abandoned her, or was declared unfit mother by the child protective services.

ANSWER: Dear Mr(s).,

The father would need to file a paternity claim at the German court where the child is located. Afterwards the Youth Department is normally glad to organize visitation. But they might also ask the father to support the child financially in the future if his income is high enough. The monthly amount could be around 200,00 EUR (ca. US-$280.00) depending on the age of the child and the father's net income.

You can contact me directly at if you want to set up a telephone consultation to discuss all of this in person. It will be very important for your child to have his/her father in her/his life. I would be glad to organize this for the father.

I hope to hear from you.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: If paternity legally established, would it be easier to deal to deal directly with the youth department directly than with the courts? Would a child still like her father, if he makes her live in the youth department, but she sees her father almost every weekend?

We could deal with the Jugendamt directly if paternity is established. You would need to establish a relationship with your child step by step. I think your child will love you if she/he feels that he/she is a priority in your live. If you are willing to spend a lot of time with her/him over the weekends she/he can still be a priority in your live.  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]