German Law/If a German father has a daughter in

Question
QUESTION: If a German father has a daughter in child protective services can he still get visitation rights? Reason his name is not on the birth, and he wants paternity legally established. This father makes it clear that he does not want custody of his daughter because he canít take care of her, and only has time to see his daughter on weekends, and on holidays. His daughter has not seen her birth mother since she was a newborn baby, because she abandoned her, or was declared unfit mother by the child protective services.

ANSWER: Dear Mr(s).,

The father would need to file a paternity claim at the German court where the child is located. Afterwards the Youth Department is normally glad to organize visitation. But they might also ask the father to support the child financially in the future if his income is high enough. The monthly amount could be around 200,00 EUR (ca. US-$280.00) depending on the age of the child and the father's net income.

You can contact me directly at csb@germanlegalservices.com if you want to set up a telephone consultation to discuss all of this in person. It will be very important for your child to have his/her father in her/his life. I would be glad to organize this for the father.

I hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
www.germanlegalservices.com
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

QUESTION: If paternity legally established, would it be easier to deal to deal directly with the youth department directly than with the courts? Would a child still like her father, if he makes her live in the youth department, but she sees her father almost every weekend?

Answer
We could deal with the Jugendamt directly if paternity is established. You would need to establish a relationship with your child step by step. I think your child will love you if she/he feels that he/she is a priority in your live. If you are willing to spend a lot of time with her/him over the weekends she/he can still be a priority in your live.  

German Law

Carolin Schulz-Burgess