You are here:

German Law/Child maintenance


Im moving back to England and my two children are staying with my divorced ex in Germany.

1: Do I pay maintenance to Uk rates or German?
2: do I pay after the children are over 18?

Dear Jeff,

You are obligated to pay support according to German law.
You might need to continue to pay after the children turned 18 years old if they are not finished with their education.

I would be glad to calculate what you are obligated to pay and give you further advice in a telephone consultation. You can contact me at

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]