German Law/niederlassungserlaubnis für hochqualifizierte expiry

Question
Dear Andreas,

I came to Germany in Oct 2010. I received a Niederlassungserlaubnis für Hochqualifizierte in June 2012 as I had the required qualifications. I plan to leave Germany for around 15 months and go to the USA. My question is will my NE be valid when I return 15 months later. My NE card is valid for another 3 years.

Arvind

Answer
Hello Arvind,

according to § 51 I no. 7 AufenthG, your Niederlassungserlaubnis will become void if you leave Germany for more than 6 months, unless you ask for prior permission from the Ausländerbehörde for your prolonged leave.

If you have good reasons and you plan to return to Germany at a set time and especially if Germany will benefit from the skills that you will pick up during that absence, then the Ausländerbehörde should grant you the permission (§ 51 IV AufenthG).

The other option is of course to return to Germany every 5 months and stay for a week or two.

Andreas Moser
www.moser-law.com
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser