German Law/Resident permit and Hartz 4, ALG II

Question
Hallo Andreas,

I am married to a German woman and have 3 years resident permit. At the moment we don't have a big income and we wanted to maybe go and apply  for Hartz 4 money. Because we are married that means when we apply we must have money for both of us. I have heard that if i take that money from the State , one day when I have to get my permanent resident permit ( and i hope that is in my case after 3 years) that can say that they don't want to give it to me because i took the money from the state as social help. Or maybe just give me again the temporary permit for a year or two.
My question is what can happen if we apply for the Hartz 4 regarding the permanent resident permit?

Answer
You are absolutely right.

Receiving welfare (like ALG II = Hartz 4) will have a negative impact on your immigration status. It might prevent you from receiving a permanent residence permit and it might prevent you from gaining German citizenship, if that is your ultimate goal.

There are exceptions in cases where you are not to blame for requiring welfare. Typical examples are accidents or illnesses that prevent you from finding employment.

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com
www.mosereien.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser