You are here:

German Law/German Passport/ Visa


I got married in Germany. But I got divorced from my Dutch husband within only 1 year of marriage because he was violent to me. The court for the domestic violence against me will still happen, but there was the first court already and the judge considered attempted murder from my ex husband against me. But there will still be a court about that.
Iím living in Germany for 4 years now. The authorities allowed me to stay with the visa of 5 years, till 2015. I already have B1 and politics exams from integration courses that are required to get the passport. But I depend on money from the government right now. I wrote recently 7 books and Iím going to count on that as a valid profession to make money.
I would like to know if itís possible for me to get the German passport as soon as I prove that I can support myself with the job as a writer.
Or is is possible that they renew my visa in 2015 for a permanent visa, even if I rely on the money from the government? Or should I get my books published and show that I'm a writer as profession so they can change my 5 years visa to a permanent one?

Thanks in Advance

Dear Linda,

You can apply for a extension of your visa (Verlaengerung der Aufenthaltserlaubnis, Art. 8 Aufenthaltsgesetz).  You should try to publish your book before you apply so that you can proof you have a good reason why you want to say in Germany. You should apply at least 60 days before your visa expires.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.