German Law/Interim Injunction with demand for fees

I am an independent business man located in the States and was served with a court document from the Hamburg Regional Court for an order to cease and desist sale of a product and ordering me to pay costs of the proceedings based on a value in dispute.  The cease and desist is not an issue, I am no longer making sales in the EU at all, and only 1 single item was sold over eBay before I realized it was a parallel imports issue and took down the listings.  Where is this proceedings cost coming from and am I required to pay it?

In Germany (as nearly everywhere in the world except for the US), the unsuccessful party in a law suit has to bear all costs including court fees and the costs of the opponent`s representative. In general, court judgments can be executed in cross-border-cases as well if the winning party is eager to do so. It involves the assistance of the foreign legal institutions which have to check before they assist.  

German Law

Henning Haarhaus

I can answer questions in English, German and French. Practice in inheritance law, tax, labour and contract law for private clients. Services also rendered in the fields of business & commercial law; e.g. business organizations, contracts, debt collections, leasing law. Representing clients all over Germany. NO CONSULTANCY ON FAMILY AND IMMIGRATION LAW.

Working since 1999 in the forenamed fields. Henning Haarhaus` experience includes services in the legal department of Roedl & partner, the biggest tax consultancy firm of German origin. Appointed Bar Certified Tax Law Practioner in 2007.

Bar Association of Berlin, KIWANIS

German licensed lawyer and bar certified tax specialist