German Law/divorce


My Fiance was married to a German, divorced approx. 10 yrs ago. He has since returned to England, without his divorce papers. His ex Wife is not interested in helping him obtain these. How can we get legal copies of the divorce so that we can marry?

Dear Heather,

Your fiance would need to write a letter in German to the German court and ask them to send him a copy of the divorce papers. I have obtained many divorce decrees for my clients. Please contact me at and I will be glad to handle this for you.

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Legal Services
306 South Walker Street
Columbia, SC 29205
Tel. +1 803 254-8153
Fax +1 803 753-9295

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.