German Law/Paternity


My husband was perviously married to a German citizen. He is active duty Army and was stationed in Germany. Before he left Germany in late 2011 he and his ex-wife separated. She moved out of their home. He PCSed back to the states and she stayed in Germany. Once he arrived to the states he filed for a divorce but had a heard time because he then found out that she was pregnant and would not divorce him. Now that they are divorced he wishes to challenge his paternity. He has spoke to lawyers here, but has had no luck. He never signed a birth Certificate for this child and he knows for a fact that he is not the father because they were not living together when she became pregnant. The questions are:
What is the correct way to go about this?
What would the process be like?
Would it be best for us to hire a lawyer because he is not in Germany and there is no possible way to go to Germany?

Dear Cheli,

a german lawyer would need to file a paternity claim at the German court for your husband. I would like to set up a phone consultation with your husband to gather more information. My partner in Germany and I would be glad to organize a paternity decision. You can contact me directly at

Carolin Schulz-Burgess
German Attorney at Law/Foreign Legal Consultant

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carolin Schulz-Burgess


German legal issues on inheritance, divorce, alimony, child custody and support, last wills and testaments, and other problems involving international family and civil law.


I am a certified German laywer with professional experience in both German and American law firms. Since 2001 I have been working independently at my firm, German Legal Services. I have represented hundreds of clients on matters involving US-German legal issues. One of my firm's areas of specialization is in divorce and child support and custody issues between members of the U.S. Armed Forces and German civilians.

World Affairs Council, German Bar Association

North Carolina Bar Association Newsletter

I received my undergraduate and JD degrees both from the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, whose law school is consistently ranked in the top 10 in Germany.

©2017 All rights reserved.