You are here:

German Law/Residence permit in Germany based on sister


"hi i'm an albanian citizen.My sister live and works in germany for 10 years now,she has a permanent permit.I would like to ask if she can sponsor for me to live in germany as a family member,if yes how she can achive that i mean in base of what law     thank you in advance"


Usually, only children or spouses can be sponsored to come to Germany.

There is a way to sponsor other family members (§ 36 II AufenthG), but only if this is required to avoid an undue hardship. Typical examples are severe sickness which requires personal attention which cannot be provided in the home country.

The easier way to go to Germany is probably through a student visa (and by the time your studies will have finished, Albania will probably be an EU member state, so that you can stay without any problems) or a spousal visa if you find somebody whom you could marry for that purpose (Germany also accepts homo-sexual partnerships for this purpose).

Andreas Moser  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.