German Law/Citizenship based on mother

Hi Andreas,

First let me start off by saying thank you so much for putting this site out there for all of us out here,  

I have read your FAQ section and still haven't quite seen my scenario mentioned.  My mom married an American and moved from Germany to the US in 1960.  Soon after had my brother and sister in 1962 and 1965 so they, in therory should be able to get their citizenship should they want it.  My mom in 1967 gave up her German citizenship for US and then in 1968 I came along.  My question is I am the only one who wants my German citizenship of my siblings.  I have always felt German/American and up until I ran across this blog didnt know I could possibly even have that chance at it.  Do you foresee anyway for me to achieve this?  My grandmother never left Germany so is there any chance to use that?

Hello Bridget,

unfortunately you cannot benefit from your grandmother because your mother broke the chain of German citizenship by giving it up before you were born. Therefore, you were born to two US (only) parents, leaving no room for German citizenship by descent.

Of course you are free to apply for naturalization in Germany, but then you would be asked to give up your US citizenship.

Sorry that I don't have any better news,

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK