German Law/German citizinship after discontinuation of minimum stay

Dear Mr. Andreas Moser,

I lived in Germany for six years from 2005 to 2011. During this time, I was master student for three years, later three years Ph.D. student. During Ph. D. I also worked as scientific assistant (100%) and contributed to German pension system. Later I came back to India without finishing Ph. D. however, kept myself enrolled as student in Germany. After almost 2.5 years I am going back to Germany and will finish my Ph. D. This time also I will receive funds from university.

I used to have good command over German language say B1. My question is that, will these six years will be counted in case I apply to citizenship in future.

Thanking you

Best regards

Hello Naresh,

up to five of these six years that you spent in Germany previously can be counted as residence in your citizenship application ( 12b II StAG).

Because the general residency requirement of 8 years can be reduced to 7 or even 6 years, depending on your German language skills and the level of integration (B1 + integration course for 7 years, B2 or better for 6 years), you may only have to wait another 1 or 2 years before you apply.

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK