You are here:

German Law/German Citizenship / Passport Records


Hello Andreas,

First, I thank you for your advice on what may be a simple matter.

My parents were German-speaking Hungarians whose village was evacuated by the Russians in 1946. So, in 1946 my family was transported to the Rhein-Neckar Kreis in Germany for resettlement. This makes my family so-called Vertriebene. From 1946 to 1955 my family resided in Germany. In 1955 my family emigrated to the United States. I was born in 1956 in the U.S. I have no documents proving my parents' German citizenship and they themselves died in the 1970s.

There is no birth, marriage or death record for my parents in Germany because all of these events occurred for them in Hungary.

However, I know that my parents were German citizens by 1955 according to the ship records when they landed in the United States.

Which authority or place in Germany would have the records of any German passport or other identification papers that were issued to my parents? I know the town in which they lived, and I want to obtain certified records of my parents German passports or even of their German naturalization between 1946 and 1955. As I understand it, the Standesamt only has records of births, deaths, and marriages.

Thank you for considering this question.

Hello Stefan,

the Standesamt at the town in which your parents lived in Germany should also have a record of their citizenship. The Einwohnermeldeamt/Standesamt would have issued ID cards and/or passports to your parents which would have indicated their citizenship.

For anything connected to Vertriebene, the Bundesverwaltungsamt in Köln would be the place to go.

After such a long time and because your parents are no longer alive, this will probably require a lot of calling, e-mailing and writing around, so this may take a while.

Could you contact the agency in the US that naturalized your parents? Probably they had to provide copies of their German passports there.

Good luck on your search!

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.