You are here:

German Law/Anspruch auf BAföG


i am writting to inquire if by law,i have the right to apply for bafog(financial assistance) to study as i intend undertaking an mba program here in germany.

i am from africa but i am married to a german for about one year now.i have an aufenthalts for 3 years.
i have german B1 fluency,passed the integration course and have also done the einburgerungtest which i also passed.

do i have the right to bafog or any other form of financial support for studies.
Thanks for your time....i appreciate it.



because your residence in Germany is based on your marriage, you can apply for BAföG. It is not considered welfare, so it wouldn't harm your future naturalization either.

The problem is however that a Master degree is usually not funded by BAföG unless it immediately follows a Bachelor degree, so that the whole course of study could be seen as one. Whether you qualify would thus depend on what you studied before, how long ago tht was and how old you are (there is no BAföG in most cases after you turn 30).

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.