German Law/paternity/child support

I may have a child in Germany by a German woman. I sent a dna test to see if the child is mine. The mother refuses to take it and want to do a court ordered one threw the German courts. Can the German courts make me take the test. I would rather not go threw the courts since they will be more money. I currently don't work and am living off my disability money and money I get for going to school. I pay child support and alimony to my wife who I'm separated from also. So with me being in the states what can the German Government enforce. The baby is currently 1 1/2 months old will they make me pay back child support since she is receiving money from the German government.

Hello Adam,

1. DNA test

If you ever get contacted by a German court about the DNA test, show them that you offered a private DNA test and that the mother refused. In that case, you should not be ordered to pay the more expensive test even if it does prove you as the father, because you volunteered to do a cheaper (but not less scientific) test. You did not give rise to any legal action against you.

2. child support

If German law applies, child support would be based on your income and would take into account other obligations that you have. German law allows you to keep a minimum of 880 EUR for yourself per month. This cannot be touched. Only what you receive on top of that could be (partially) distributed.

You could be asked for child support for the past 1 1/2 months only if you had been asked to pay child support by either the mother, her lawyer or a government agency. As long as nobody requests anything, you cannot be expected to put money aside.

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK