German Law/Divorce of German marriage in US

Question
I am a german and a legal alian of the U.S.and will be naturalized
as a U.S, citizen.I am returning to the U.S.and wish to divorce my German wife.I amtold I can applyfor a divorce in the U.S.even though we were married inGermany.And that the divorce would fall under U.S.Laws.Is this true?

Answer
Hello Kevin,

yes, if you have residence in the US, the state in which you live has jurisdiction over your divorce regardless of where in the world you got married. The state court will apply the law of the state you will live in.

Because you mentioned that you are about to get naturalized, please keep in mind that you need to obtain permission from Germany if you want to retain your German citizenship ( 25 II StAG), otherwise you will lose it automatically.

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser