German Law/German Health Insurance Payments

QUESTION: Can a German citizen, retired and now living in the US with family and currently receiving and still paying into her German Pension also somehow collect her medical benefits here in the US, For example, Doctor visits, hospital stays and medicine.

ANSWER: Pensions schemes are for pensions only, not medical insurances.

QUESTION: I don't think I made my question clear enough. While working and still now after retirement she as resident alien now living with family in US pays into the GKV. Can she somehow be reimbursed for medical costs incurred in the US now that she is living here. She paid into the GKV all her working life and it is still deducted from her pension. Thank you for your patience and response.

There is no social security agreement between Germany and the USA. For this reason, the German GKV will not pay for medical treatment in the USA. Your wife should apply at the Krankenkasse for a retroactive dispensation from the obligation to pay social secirity contributions.

German Law

Henning Haarhaus

I can answer questions in English, German and French. Practice in inheritance law, tax, labour and contract law for private clients. Services also rendered in the fields of business & commercial law; e.g. business organizations, contracts, debt collections, leasing law. Representing clients all over Germany. NO CONSULTANCY ON FAMILY AND IMMIGRATION LAW.

Working since 1999 in the forenamed fields. Henning Haarhaus` experience includes services in the legal department of Roedl & partner, the biggest tax consultancy firm of German origin. Appointed Bar Certified Tax Law Practioner in 2007.

Bar Association of Berlin, KIWANIS

German licensed lawyer and bar certified tax specialist