You are here:

German Law/Tax as a freelancer without fixed postal address


Dear Andreas,

I wrote to you several months ago about filing a German tax return if I am not a resident of Germany (and travelling from country to country, without a fixed postal address). You replied that there is not a legal necessity for me to file a tax return in this case. I am continuing to earn most of my income from clients in Germany while I am travelling.

Just now I discovered the following form:

Einkommensteuererklärung beschränkte Steuerpflicht (ESt 1 C)

Wenn Sie in dem Jahr, für das Sie Ihre Steuererklärung abgeben wollen, keinen Wohnsitz oder gewöhnlichen Aufenthalt in Deutschland hatten und inländische Einkünfte im Sinne von § 49 Absatz 1 EStG erzielt haben, können Sie hier online Ihre Einkommensteuererklärung, Ihren Antrag auf Festsetzung der Arbeitnehmer-Sparzulage oder Ihre Erklärung zur Feststellung des verbleibenden Verlustvortrags abgeben.

Hierfür sind nur inländische Einkünfte zu berücksichtigen, für die die Einkommensteuer nicht durch den Steuerabzug als abgegolten gilt (§ 50 Absatz 2 EStG).
Regelmäßig gilt die Einkommensteuer als abgegolten, wenn Einkünfte dem Steuerabzug vom Kapitalertrag, dem Steuerabzug nach § 50a Absatz 1 bis 6 EStG oder dem Lohnsteuerabzug (mit Ausnahmen) unterliegen.

Beschränkt Steuerpflichtige, deren Summe der Einkünfte in dem Kalenderjahr, für das sie eine Steuererklärung einreichen wollen, mindestens zu 90 Prozent der deutschen Einkommensteuer unterliegt, können auf Antrag als unbeschränkt einkommensteuerpflichtig behandelt werden.
Entsprechendes gilt, wenn die Einkünfte, die nicht der deutschen Einkommensteuer unterliegen, den Grundfreibetrag nicht übersteigen (§ 1 Absatz 3 EStG).
Wenn Sie diesen Antrag stellen möchten, wählen Sie bitte "Einkommensteuererklärung unbeschränkte Steuerpflicht (ESt 1 A)".

What does this mean? Do I have to file a tax return after all?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best greetings,

Hello Aaron,

first of all, THANK YOU for your donation!

If your situation is still the same as in your last question (German citizen who left Germany for good and maintains no apartment/house in Germany), then you do not have to pay income tax in Germany. Unlike some other countries (notably the USA and Switzerland), German tax law is not based on citizenship, but on residence.

The form you mention only concerns income that would fall under § 49 I EStG, which is income generated by businesses operating in Germany, from renting out property in Germany and similar constellations, with the owner living outside of Germany.

Your tax obligations are determined by the laws on the countries in which you live and work. If you are constantly traveling (like me), this is a tricky issue because tax codes weren't written with people like us in mind. Most countries do not tax anyone who doesn't live there for at least half of the year. So you might very well fall through the cracks of most countries' tax codes and not have to pay anything anywhere. (That's how I am doing it, too, until I decide to stay in one place for longer.)

Andreas Moser  

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.