German Law/applying for german citizenship while living abroad

Question
Hi Andreas,

I am the wife of a German national for two years and he has lived outside Germany (Abgemeldet)for the past five years.

I am working for a well-known German company for 7 years and never had an issue with traveling to Germany or any other part of the world due to my company sponsoring, but because of my Iranian nationality (even though I have lived all my life in Dubai)I am facing serious issues in travelling in Middle east (Saudi, Egypt, Kuwait, Bahrain,...) and its affecting my work .
I can not live Dubai for at-least 5 years from now due to work commitments.
I have a C1 German certificate.

do you think with support of my company and Husband I have a chance applying for German citizenship via the consulate here in Dubai?

thanks in advance and MFG,
shahrzad

Answer
Working for a German company and in particular your strong German language skills are positive factors, but I am afraid that your marriage hasn't been lasting long enough yet. Even for people who live in Germany while being married to a German citizen, the minimum residency requirement is 3 years.

For a naturalization from abroad, the Consulate would usually look for a much more long-term timeframe, and also for other connections that you have to Germany (e.g. academic interests, your own business dealings with Germany, and so on).

Andreas Moser
www.andreasmoser.wordpress.com

German Law

Andreas Moser