German Law/German Citizenship from mother

Question
Hi.
I was born in 1967 (not in Germany or the EU) my mother is German and still holds her German nationality/passport.
Am i eligible to obtain German citizenship/passport?
I do not reside in Germany or in the EU.
I can speak German!
I can read German!
Do i have to reside in Germany to be eligible?

Have the laws changed as on previous occasion when i checked you could only get from Fathers side.

Answer
You are eligible for simplified naturalization, meaning that you can apply for German citizenship without living in Germany and without having to give up your primary citizenship.

For details, see no. 8 of these FAQ: https://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/naturalization-in-germany-from-abroad/

German Law

Andreas Moser