German Law/German Citizenship from mother

I was born in 1967 (not in Germany or the EU) my mother is German and still holds her German nationality/passport.
Am i eligible to obtain German citizenship/passport?
I do not reside in Germany or in the EU.
I can speak German!
I can read German!
Do i have to reside in Germany to be eligible?

Have the laws changed as on previous occasion when i checked you could only get from Fathers side.

You are eligible for simplified naturalization, meaning that you can apply for German citizenship without living in Germany and without having to give up your primary citizenship.

For details, see no. 8 of these FAQ:

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK