German Law/My mother's German Nationality

Andreas, how are you, nice to meet you. I have a big question regarding whether my mother can acquire or not the German Nationality. I really need help.

Her mother is German, her father in not German.
She was born in 1954…
She doesn’t lives in Germany.
She studied 3 years in Germany during her adolescence
She speaks German.
She has sufficient financial funds to support herself.

Other facts
Here in her country my mother studied at a German school.
My grandmother taught German for 40 years in a major university in my country
My grandmother’s parents were founders of the only German school in the capital of my country.

I know she was born before 1975 of a German mother, but couldn’t she acquire the German nationality considering all this, if yes what requirements she needs?

Sorry that I already wrote you from //, But I need help regarding this.

Hello Helena,

yes, your mother can apply for naturalization under a simplified procedure, meaning that she doesn't need to live in Germany and that she won't be required to give up her primary citizenship.

For details, please see no. 8 of my FAQ:

Andreas Moser

German Law

Andreas Moser

Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.

Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.

2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK