You are here:

German Law/child support


Dear Andreas
I am currently living in Turkey and a local friend of mine has recieved a letter from an German ex girlfriend claiming that her 5 year old daughter is his, this letter wad sent to his Swedish wife at her home in Sweden. He is Turkish and still resides there, due to the fact he has been unable to obtain a Swedish visa yet, she is German living in Germany. He is not on the birth certificate and no dna test has been done. What rights does she have to pursue things further in relation to child support? Or any other legal action she may be able to take.
Any advice would be welcolmed
Thank you for your time

Before we consider the issue of child support, paternity would need to be established.

He has two options:

1) He can ignore the letter. As long as paternity is not legally established, he has no legal obligations. It would be up to the mother to ask for a DNA sample and a test.

2) If he is curious, he could also ask for a DNA test and provide a sample.

Once we receive the test result, we'll take it from there.

Andreas Moser

German Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andreas Moser


Extensive experience in international family law, especially international child abductions and child custody cases. All other areas of German law as well: constitutional law, criminal law, business and contract law, immigration law, inheritance law, and so on.


Lawyer in Germany from 2002 to 2009. Lawyer for US Army JAG Corps before. Bar-certified specialisation in family law and in administrative law. Articles and lectures about international and domestic family law.


2000 Law Degree from University of Regensburg, Germany 2002 admitted to the bar (until 2009) 2013 MA Philosophy at the Open University, UK

©2017 All rights reserved.